LGBTQI & Friends
Blog #1; December 6, 2018
My name is Scotty and I am the new LGBTQI liaison here at the Senior Center. Some time ago we built this email list based upon your checking a box on our membership form, that you were interested in programs related to LGBTQI. That stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex. (In a future email to you, I will attempt to untangle this alphabet of letters and their origin.)
Our Senior Center has made a commitment to supporting the needs of this community, and I have been assigned to be the point person here for this project. Our goal is to make the people of our LGBTQI community feel supported and connected. I will be letting you know what we are doing for you at our Senior Center, and also to share resources in our community.
But first a little more about me. I’m a gay man, age 61, and I’m in a committed relationship with a man. Years ago, I was married to a woman and I have 2 children aged 24 & 25. I’m thrilled to have a position here that includes working with our fabulous and growing LGBTQI community! We are extremely fortunate to have this beautiful Senior Center with a mandate to support us.
1. This first thing on my list to let you know about, is a FREE dinner this Friday calledHappy Holigays. It’s being held at the Santa Rosa Junior College. Their goal is to connect LGBTQI folks and allies to new resources, and to create a sense of belonging. I called yesterday and talked with Eliseo at the SRJC and was told “All ages are welcome!” RSVP to Eliseo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 707-579-4327, or go to their Facebook page HERE.
Eliseo said they will even have food for the vegetarians among us. This is being paid for by the SRJC and the LGBTQ Connection and the gay-straight alliance to bring our LGBTQI community together. Fantastic!
It’s this Friday, December 7, 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. in the Cafeteria, at Santa Rosa Junior College, 1501 Mendocino Ave, Santa Rosa, California 95401. I plan to attend this event after work; I won’t be there till about 6 p.m., so please say “hi!”
2. Next I want to draw you attention to a valuable resource page on our website,Sebastopol Area Senior Center LGBTQI Elder Resources.
On the left of the page are Local resources for Elder LBGTQI, in the center of the page are the Bay Area resources, and on the right are the National resources. Keep scrolling down on the left to see local social groups for men and women. The Golden Guys group meets occasionally at our Center for their potlucks.
3. You are all invited to our Annual Holiday Potluck here at the Sebastopol Area Senior Center:
Tuesday, December 11, 12:00-2:00 p.m.
(please arrive no earlier than 11:30)
Turkey & Ham provided by our volunteer Board of Directors!
Please bring a dish to share by your last name:
A-M: Side Dish
4. Please say “HI” to me next time you visit our Center; I’d love to shake your hand! My desk is near to the front desk, and I usually have time to get up and say hello!
5. Finally, please email me with your suggestions and feedback at email@example.com, or simply click "Reply" on this email.
Scotty Millay King